Swimming often leaves you with the water in your ears so you need to know how to How to Get Water Out of Your Ear That Won't Come Out. If it is not coming out then you may be feeling a tickling in the ear. The feeling can go from the ear to the jawbone and even to the throat. You might also hear muffled sounds and you may not be able to hear anything at all.
Normally, the water comes out of the ear by its own. But sometimes it gets trapped in the ear and it may lead to ear infection. This type of infection is usually called swimmer’s ear. In this article you may have the few tips that might help you to remove the water from the ear.
How to Get Water Out of Your Ear – Tips
Here are the few tips that you can apply
1. Jiggle the Earlobes
The first thing that you do to get rid of the water is to jiggle the ear right away. You can gently jiggle the earlobe while tilting the head. You can tilt the head towards the shoulder and jiggle the ear. You can also try shaking the head side to side while you are in the tilted position.
2. Let gravity do the work
You can let the gravity do the work. To do this you can help the water to get drained from the ear. You can lie on the side for few minutes on that side from which the water is stuck. You can also place the towel or tissue to absorb the water coming out of the ear due to gravity.
3. Making a Vacuum
When you create the vacuum the water insider the ear will start to rush out to fill the vacuum you can do this by
- Tilting the head sideways and letting eat to rest on cupped palm. You can create a tight seal to insure the vacuum.
- Then you need to gently push the hand back and forth towards the ear rapidly, flattening can be done when you push and pull it away simultaneously.
- Then you need to tilt the head to let the water drain easily.
4. Using a Blow Dryer
The trapped water may evaporate due to the heat and you can provide the heat to the ear canal with the help of blow dryer. However there are few things to keep in mind before having the blow dryer to get water out of the ear.
- You need to turn the lowest setting of the blow dryer.
- You need to hold the blow dryer a foot away from the ear because having it too close might burn your ear. You can also have back and forth motion when you are using this method.
- You can tug down the earlobe and let the warm air to come into the ear by the blow dryer.
5. Try Alcohol Or Vinegar Eardrops
The alcohol may help to evaporate the water from the ear. The alcohol helps to eliminate the growth of the bacteria and this may help to prevent the infection by accumulation of water in the ear. The trapped water may be due to building up of the earwax. The vinegar may help to remove the wax. When having this method you need to keep in mind the following tips
- You need to have equal parts of alcohol or the vinegar drops to make the ear drops.
- You need to have the sterile dropper to have the drops in your ear you can have 3 to 4 drops of the mixture in the ear.
- You can also rub the outside of the ear
- You need to wait 30 seconds to let the drops go into the ear then you can tilt the head sideways to let the solution to come out easily.
You need to avoid this method if you have
- Outer Ear Infection
- Perforated eardrum
- Tympanostomy tubes
6. Use Hydrogen Peroxide Eardrops
The Hydrogen Peroxide solution is there to clear out the debris as well as the earwax. These two things might be responsible of holding the water in the ear. You can also find the solution that contains hydrogen peroxide as well as urea to clean out the earwax this solution is sometimes called carbamide peroxide.
You can avoid using this method if you have following condition like
- Outer Ear Infection
- Perforated eardrum
- Trmpanostomy Tubes
7. Make Use of Olive Oil
Olive oil might also help to prevent the infection of the ear. It might also help to suck out the water from the ear. All you need to do is to
- Have warm olive oil in a small bowl
- You can use the clean dropper and place the few drops of the oil at the effected ear
- You can also lie on the other side which ear is not affected for 10 minutes then you can sit up. After that tilt the ear downward and this might help to drain the water out.
8. Fight Water With Water
This may sound crazy but it might work and it might take the water away from the ear. You can lay on the side and fill the effected ear with the water using the dropper.
Then you can wait for 5 second and turn over. Now you need to face the ear downwards and this can help to drain out the water easily.
9. Have Over the counter Medication
You need to know that over the counter OTC eardrops are also available and most of them contain alcohol. Such otc might help to reduce the moisture from the outer ear canal and it might also help to kill the bacteria as well as the earwax and debris.
How to get water out of your ear when nothing else works
If the techniques are not working then you might be having certain ear conditions. If you have middle ear congestion OTC decongestant or antihistamine therapy might help you. You can always ask your doctor and you also need to read the instruction written on the package. You can also try out these remedies
10. Yawning or Chewing
When you have water stuck in the Eustachian tube then moving the moth might help you open the tubes you can do yawning or you can chew the gum to take away the tension from the Eustachian tube.
11. Do Valsalva Maneuver
This method is also for opening Eustachian tube. But you need to be careful because blowing too hard can damage the tube as well as the ear drum. To do this you need to also keep in mind certain things like
- You can Breathe Deeply: Deeply breathing can work when you close the moth and squeeze the nostrils. You can shut the nostrils with the help of the fingers.
- You can blow the air out of the nose and you may hear the popping sound and when you hear it you will know that your Eustachian tube is opened.
12. Make Use Of Steam
Warm steam might also help you to answer the question that how to get water out of your ear. You can try having a hot shower and you can have a sauna with the hot water to take the water away from the ear. Here are the things that you can do
- You need to fill the large bowl with the steaming hot water
- You need to cover the head with the towel to let the steam come in. You also need to keep the face over the bowl.
- You need to inhale the steam for 5 to 10 minutes then you can tilt the head to the side to let the water come out from the ear.
You can Also Read About how to eat a pomegranate
What Not To Do
If the above mentioned remedies are not working then you do not have to use the ear swabs or the fingers. You also need to avoid having anything in your ear. You can make your condition worse such conditions are
- Add bacteria to the ear
- Pushing the water deeper into the ear might also worsen the condition
- Injuring the ear canal
- Puncturing the Eardrum
How to Prevent Complications
The simple tips might help to avoid the clogging of the water in the ear Here are the tips that can prevent the complication like
- Using Earplugs or swim cap when you go for swimming
- After spending time in the water you can dry the outside of the ear with the towel.
When To Go To the Doctor?
Trapped water usually does not require doctor’s attention because it goes away without any treatment. If the water starts bothering you and you have tried the home remedies and still you are not having the comfort and the water is in the years for more than 2 to 2 days then you need to call your doctor.
Having water trapped in the ear for more than 2 or 3 days might cause infection. You can also check if your ear is swollen or inflamed. If you saw any unusual thing or you experience any ear infection then it might cause serious complication if it is left untreated.
It might also leave you with the hearing loss and other complications such as bone and cartilage damage. You doctor might provide you with the pills to eliminate the infection as well as the pain.